The dark, cold and wet days, failed new year’s resolutions and back to work stress of January and February all combine to make us feel a little down in the dumps. The Winter Blues is a well known phenomenon that manifests itself in feelings of sadness, tiredness, low energy and lack of enthusiasm. It is therefore really important to take time to look after yourself at this time of year and do what you can to lift your mood, which you’ll be pleased to hear can include eating cheese!
Our cheese subscription service is the perfect way to tackle the Winter Blues and give yourself some mood-enhancing nourishment. Why? Because a regular delivery of cheese means that you’ll never go short and choosing an artisan cheese subscription means you’ll be getting the finest quality cheeses made using traditional methods by people who respect the land, their animals and their workers.
So let’s look at why cheese can be so beneficial to your mood:
How cheese can make you feel good
- Cheese contains the mood enhancer tryptophan. This amino acid, which is present in dairy products, helps the body to produce serotonin and to regulate the sleep-wake cycle, which can therefore help you to get a better night’s sleep.
- Cheese contains calcium, which is also known to work with serotonin to reduce stress and anxiety. In fact, studies have shown that a higher calcium intake can lower depression scores.
- Cheese is a great source of vitamins and minerals including:
- Protein - which is vital for bone strength and cell repair and helps to regulate hormones which can also improve mood.
- Vitamin A - which boosts the body’s natural defences against illness and infection and we all know that mood plunges when you're not feeling well.
- Vitamin B12 - which keeps your body's blood and nerve cells healthy and can also give you energy and boost your metabolism.
- Zinc - which supports the body’s immune function and heals wounds. It is also vital to your sense of taste and smell, making sure you can fully enjoy the foods you love, including cheese!
Why a cheese subscription?
If you are feeling a little down this winter and looking for something to lift your spirits, a slice of cheese might be just what you need to deliver those mood-boosting benefits we’ve just discussed, but it doesn't end there. What about the rest of the year? If you can enjoy cheese as part of a healthy diet in winter, why not carry on and make it part of your ‘me time’ throughout 2022?
Our cheese subscription service takes the hassle out of sourcing and buying high quality cheeses as we do all the hard work for you. Each month (or bi-monthly if you prefer) you’ll get three ½ pound cuts of cheese that have been hand selected by our cheesemongers from artisan producers delivered to your door.
You can visit our website each month to view the latest cheese selection so you know what to expect when your cheese subscription box arrives, and then all you need to do is plan how and when you’re going to enjoy it!
If you need some more help in beating the Winter Blues, in addition to enjoying our cheese subscription service, follow these tips below:
- Don’t be too hard on yourself, feeling a little low in winter is completely normal.
- Get plenty of daylight to boost your Vitamin D levels which can increase happiness and help you sleep better.
- Keep active, as exercise is a great way to release endorphins which make you feel happy.
- Eat a healthy diet that includes plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and vary the foods you eat to give you access to all the vital nutrients.
- Get a good night’s sleep - this means putting your mobile devices away way before bed time and letting your brain switch off.
Order your cheese subscription today
Click here to order a monthly cheese subscription and choose from our classic or signature boxes. We also offer subscriptions for set periods of 3 months, 6 months and 12 months. With free shipping on all boxes and the chance to taste artisan cheeses that you just can’t find in your local grocery store, what’s not to like? Don’t let winter get you down, fight back with mood boosting cheese and make this a great month!